As prescribed in 46.710(a)(1), the contracting officer may insert a clause substantially the same as the clause at 52.246-17, Warranty of Supplies of a Noncomplex Nature, in solicitations and contracts for noncomplex items when a fixed-price supply contract is contemplated and the use of a warranty clause has been approved under agency procedures. If the contractor’s design rather than the Government’s design will be used, insert the word “design” before “material” in paragraph (b)(1)(i).
(2) If it is desirable to specify that necessary transportation incident to correction or replacement will be at the Government’s expense (as might be the case if, for example, the cost of a warranty would otherwise be prohibitive), the contracting officer may use the clause with its Alternate II.
(3) If the supplies cannot be obtained from another source, the contracting officer may use the clause with its Alternate III.
(4) If a fixed-price incentive contract is contemplated, the contracting officer may use the clause with its Alternate IV.
(5) If it is anticipated that recovery of the warranted items will involve considerable Government expense for disassembly and/or reassembly of larger items, the contracting officer may use the clause with its Alternate V.
Warranty of Supplies of a Noncomplex Nature Alternate III (Apr 1984).
(a) Definitions. As used in this clause—
“Acceptance” means the act of an authorized representative of the Government by which the Government assumes for itself, or as an agent of another, ownership of existing supplies, or approves specific services as partial or complete performance of the contract.
(1) Notwithstanding inspection and acceptance by the Government of supplies furnished under this contract, or any condition of this contract concerning the conclusiveness thereof, the Contractor warrants that for ________ [Contracting Officer shall state specific period of time after delivery, or the specified event whose occurrence will terminate the warranty period; e.g., the number of miles or hours of use, or combinations of any applicable events or periods of time]—
(2) When return, correction, or replacement is required, transportation charges and responsibility for the supplies while in transit shall be borne by the Contractor. However, the Contractor’s liability for the transportation charges shall not exceed an amount equal to the cost of transportation by the usual commercial method of shipment between the place of delivery specified in this contract and the Contractor’s plant, and return.
(3) Any supplies or parts thereof, corrected or furnished in replacement under this clause, shall also be subject to the terms of this clause to the same extent as supplies initially delivered. The warranty, with respect to supplies or parts thereof, shall be equal in duration to that in paragraph (b)(1) of this clause and shall run from the date of delivery of the corrected or replaced supplies.
(1) The Contracting Officer shall give written notice to the Contractor of any breach of warranties in paragraph (b)(1) of this clause within ________ [Contracting Officer shall insert specific period of time; e.g., “45 days of the last delivery under this contract,” or “45 days after discovery of the defect”].
(i) Require, by written notice, the prompt correction or replacement of any supplies or parts thereof (including preservation, packaging, packing, and marking) that do not conform with the requirements of this contract within the meaning of paragraph (b)(1) of this clause; or
(3)(i) If the contract provides for inspection of supplies by sampling procedures, conformance of supplies or components subject to warranty action shall be determined by the applicable sampling procedures in the contract. The Contracting Officer—
(C) May project warranty sampling results over supplies in the same shipment or other supplies contained in other shipments even though all of such supplies are not present at the point of reinspection; provided, that the supplies remaining are reasonably representative of the quantity on which warranty action is proposed; and
(4) If the Contractor does not agree as to responsibility to correct or replace the supplies delivered, the Contractor shall nevertheless proceed in accordance with the written request issued by the Contracting Officer under paragraph (c)(2) of this clause to correct or replace the defective or nonconforming supplies. In the event it is later determined that the supplies were not defective or nonconforming within the terms and conditions of this clause, the contract price will be equitably adjusted.
(End of clause)