As prescribed in 27.201-2(c)(1), insert the clause at 52.227-3, Patent Indemnity, in solicitations and contracts that may result in the delivery of commercial products or the provision of commercial services unless-
(i) part 12 procedures are used;
(ii) The simplified acquisition procedures of part 13 are used;
(iii) Both complete performance and delivery are outside the United States; or
(iv) The contracting officer determines after consultation with legal counsel that omission of the clause would be consistent with commercial practice.
(2) Use the clause with either its Alternate I (identification of excluded items) or II (identification of included items) if-
(i) The contract also requires delivery of items that are not commercial products or the provision of services that are not commercial services; or
(ii) The contracting officer determines after consultation with legal counsel that limitation of applicability of the clause would be consistent with commercial practice.
(3) Use the clause with its Alternate III if the solicitation or contract is for communication services and facilities where performance is by a common carrier, and the services are unregulated and are not priced by a tariff schedule set by a regulatory body.
Patent Indemnity (Apr 1984)
(a) The Contractor shall indemnify the Government and its officers, agents, and employees against liability, including costs, for infringement of any United States patent (except a patent issued upon an application that is now or may hereafter be withheld from issue pursuant to a Secrecy Order under 35 U.S.C.181) arising out of the manufacture or delivery of supplies, the performance of services, or the construction, alteration, modification, or repair of real property (hereinafter referred to as "construction work") under this contract, or out of the use or disposal by or for the account of the Government of such supplies or construction work.
(b) This indemnity shall not apply unless the Contractor shall have been informed as soon as practicable by the Government of the suit or action alleging such infringement and shall have been given such opportunity as is afforded by applicable laws, rules, or regulations to participate in its defense. Further, this indemnity shall not apply to—
(1) An infringement resulting from compliance with specific written instructions of the Contracting Officer directing a change in the supplies to be delivered or in the materials or equipment to be used, or directing a manner of performance of the contract not normally used by the Contractor;
(2) An infringement resulting from addition to or change in supplies or components furnished or construction work performed that was made subsequent to delivery or performance; or
(3) A claimed infringement that is unreasonably settled without the consent of the Contractor, unless required by final decree of a court of competent jurisdiction.
(End of clause)